Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Im out!












Im home from the hospital! I had a lower jaw advancement + chin reduction


I was told to be at the hospital at 6 yesterday and by 720 they took me into the OR..things were quite fast, which was great-less time to get nervous. I was scared of the IV cause I've never had one before, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.. and the guy thought I was serious when I said "I loooove needles!"..too funny.

When I woke up in recovery, I was really irritated, because they told me the tubes going from my nose to my lungs, and from the collection bag to my stomach would be gone..and they werent. Which means I was awake and totally not under any anesthetic when they pulled them out. THAT was worse than anything so far. My sister came into to see me, which they gave her a hard time about..and she told me that no one came upto her and my mom after to let her know how things went.. which I found odd..

The rest of the day was me sleeping on and off with lots of visitors.. I couldn't figure out how to move my mouth for the first while, so I wrote lots of notes..then I figured the more I could talk or ATTEMPT to talk, the better for my nerves..so I talked like crazy!!

I ate the soup for dinner..but I didn't understand how they wanted me to eat the Jello? I drank a lot of water, and rinsed like mad cause I wanted to make sure stuff was clean. Luckily, I didn't have a ton of pain, and I still don't. I would say its slightly worse than when I had my wisdom teeth out. Just with a ridiculously swollen face.

Sleeping at night was by far THE WORST. I couldn't get comfortable at all, and I found there was a fine line between being boiling hot..and freezing cold. My nose was super super dry, and even though I greased it up with vaseline, it didn't make a difference and I found I couldnt breathe very well...so I kept having mini panic attacks cause I was suffocating. The night nurse told me that I was supposed to have nasal spray..but who knows where the hell it was!! I made it through the night trying to slow my breathing down and breathe through my lips. Im not sure about anyone else who has had the same surgery as I, but my teeth feel like they are GLUED together. I thought the bands would be much looser. :(

This morning, I was discharged by my surgeon, who told me I was doing REALLY well, given some strange needle in my hip which I was never given an explanation for what it was (even though I asked!), had my IV taken out, and then I booked it out with my mom. I can't even begin to describe the looks I got from people in the lobby!!! But feeling the -23 degree air outside was AMAZING. I think i'll take a walk tonight.

Here are three pictures... the first is my profile BEFORE the surgery... you can see the overbite/deep bite/dinosaur profile as I call it. And my pointy chin.

The next one was taken when I got a room in the hospital, and the last one is this morning at my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment